Seeking spousal support if you plan to remarry in New Hampshire

On Behalf of | May 20, 2024 | Divorce |

Spousal support, also called alimony, provides financial assistance after a divorce. In New Hampshire, the rules about this support depend on several factors.

If you are planning to remarry once your divorce is finalized, you might wonder whether you can seek spousal support from your ex.

Factors the court considers

In most cases, the court looks at many things before deciding on spousal support. They check the length of the marriage, the age and health of each spouse, their income and property and how each spouse contributed to the marriage. The court also considers the needs of each spouse and their ability to pay.

Planning to remarry can affect spousal support decisions. If you remarry, the court may decide that you do not need as much support because your new spouse will likely contribute to your financial stability. However, planning to remarry and actually remarrying are different. If you are only planning to remarry, the court might still grant spousal support based on your current needs and situation.

What happens if you remarry

New Hampshire law states that spousal support stops if the person receiving it remarries. This is because the new spouse is expected to provide support, relieving the former spouse of the obligation.

There are some exceptions to this rule. For example, if both spouses agree to continue the spousal support even after one remarries, the court might allow it. This agreement needs to be in writing and approved by the court.

Another thing to consider is that planning to remarry could change the court’s view on how long spousal support should last. The court might decide to give support for a shorter time if it seems like you will soon have another source of income from your new marriage.

Understanding how remarriage affects your ongoing financial support can help you make better decisions for your future. Seeking advice from a professional well-versed in spousal support can provide guidance specific to your situation and help you understand your rights and options.